Ash Shaykh Abdul Hameed Al Hajooree, may Allah preserve him, mentioned the different types of things that break one’s fast:
4. Emitting semen deliberately
The one who emits his semen deliberately, whether that be by masturbating or other than that from those things which the people do, then his fast is invalid. The proof for that is Allah says
“He leaves off his desires, food and drink for my sake”
Agreed upon from Abu Huraira رضي الله عنه
As for the one who does this, then he has not left off his desires for the sake of Allah aza Wa Jal. Thus he becomes from those who broke their fast.
5. Menstruation and postpartum blood for women
The woman who is menstruating or in postpartum should break her fast, and it is obligatory upon her to leave off fasting. If she fasts in this state, then she is disobedient to Allah and committing a major sin.
The one who apostates from the religion of Islam while he is fasting, whether that be by
- cursing Allah or His messenger صلى الله عليه و سلم, or making fun of the religion, or;
- invoking other than Allah in that which none is capable of except Allah, or;
- deeming a fortune teller or sorcerer to be truthful, or;
- other than that from the forms of apostasy
then his fast is nullified and he he has broken his fast. Abstaining (from food and drink) wont benefit him.
7. [Regarding] using a needle which gives nourishment such as that which is for nourishment or strengthens the blood or other than that, then it breaks the fast because it takes the place of nourishment (food and drink)
8. Dialysis breaks the fast because one replaces one’s blood through it and cleans it, and [the same is applicable for] other that which the doctors are aware of.
Majid Jawed Al-Afghanee